Lusaka, Zambia positions
Family Literacy Coordinator
Summary: The Family Literacy Coordinator will plan and facilitate a Family Literacy Program under Lubuto Library Partners’ DREAMS Innovation Challenge grant to keep adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) free of HIV. The Family Literacy Program targets young mothers (15-24) and their young children with daily adult literacy classes for AGYW and early literacy programming for children ages birth through six.
- Develop Family Literacy program curriculum in consultation with partners and advisors;
- Train and lead a team of Family Literacy Programming Assistants;
- Develop a personal learning plan for each young mother in the program focused on facilitating re-entry to a formal educational program;
- Lead three Family Literacy program sessions per day, six days a week, at sites throughout Lusaka;
- Provide targeted outreach to young mothers, in consultation with organizations already serving this group;
- Compile a list of community resources and resource persons;
- Uphold the highest standards of early childhood education, care and development;
- Work with the Scholarship Manager and the Female Outreach Coordinator to ensure smooth recruitment of young mothers and immediate connection to scholarships as appropriate;
- Maintain organized documents on the Family Literacy programs;
- Manage budgets related to programs directly under her/his control;
- Communicate success stories to LLP staff, particularly the Communication Manager;
- Maintain beneficiary records in a confidential manner.
- Diploma or degree in Education required
- 3-7 years’ experience in education required, including experience teaching adult literacy;
- Experience in early childhood education highly desirable;
- Experience in parenting education highly desirable;
- Previous work experience with vulnerable children and youth is highly desirable
Skills & abilities
- Embraces the mission of Lubuto Library Partners.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Possesses a strong understanding of early childhood development (ages 0-6) and parenting practices to support healthy development and positive educational outcomes for young children;
- Possesses a strong understanding of literacy development across the lifespan;
- Works energetically and enthusiastically with young children and their parents/caregivers;
- Is a “self-starter,” driven to develop and maintain systems and network relationships.
- Organizes and leads efforts, and consistently “follows through” on tasks and goals.
- Displays a positive attitude, shows concern for people and community, and demonstrates presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Cares deeply about advancing the educational status and rights of young people in substantially disadvantaged communities.
- The Family Literacy Coordinator will facilitate daily Family Literacy Programming at the three Lubuto Libraries in Lusaka (Kamwala, Garden, and Lusaka West).
- Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
How to apply:
- Submit a cover letter highlighting your specific qualifications for this job, your salary history/requirements, and resume with three traceable references to email@example.com stating the position you are applying for in the Subject line;
- Include contact information including a phone number in your application;
- Applications not including all of the above will not be considered;
- Applications close on September 23rd, 2016.