Washington DC positions
Director of Business development
About the position:
The Director of Business Development, based in Washington DC, is responsible for identifying grant opportunities that are aligned with Lubuto's mission, including as a cooperating partner subcontractor. The Director will prepare related proposals, in coordination with other Lubuto staff. The Director will also work with Lubuto's President and other Board members, in developing and managing Lubuto's major gifts program.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic and optimistic professional who:
- Embraces the mission of Lubuto Library Partners.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Has a solid understanding of the funding mechanisms and grant processes of USAID and other internationally focused and Lubuto-relevant funding organizations.
- Is familiar with international development contractors and their partnership engagements.
- Displays knowledge and experience in relevant areas of grant development.
- Possesses the skills to work with and motivate staff, Board members and volunteers.
- Is a “self-starter,” driven to develop and maintain network relationships.
- Organizes and leads efforts, and consistently “follows through” on tasks and goals.
- Displays a positive attitude, shows concern for people and community, and demonstrates presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Cares deeply about advancing the educational status and rights of young people in substantially disadvantaged communities globally.
- Holds a bachelor’s degree.
- Possesses at least 1 year of relevant professional experience.
Key position responsibilities:
- Identify and follow-up on grant opportunities relevant to Lubuto's mission and capacity, including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Work with Lubuto's President to develop a major gifts program, including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Conduct prospect research.
- Work closely with Lubuto’s President and Founder, and the Board of Directors, on strategy and outreach.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about Lubuto with the donor, stakeholder and beneficiary communities.
- Coordinate Board Development Committee meetings.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Perform other related duties, as requested.
Competitive/commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
E-mail letter of interest with résumé to email@example.com with the subject header: LLP Business Development Director. This position will remain open until filled by a qualified candidate.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.